falling in love with adoption


It's been a long journey.  I would say it started stirring in my heart on a trip to Africa two years ago.  But it wasn't until we did foster care that I realized it was real.  Then the two precious kids that spent the Summer in my home, eating with us, living our lives with us - left.  We were expecting it, it wasn't surprising.  But that's when we realized forever is what we want.

Forever.  That's what adoption is.  God promised us forever.  We follow His lead and adopt a child forever.  I'll be honest - it's not for everyone.  I don't think everyone should go out and adopt a child.  But all I know is - adoption is for me.  I've watched some of our best friends walk through an airport gate with a baby in their arms or holding kids' hands and I think to myself, "I want that to be me someday!".

When you walk through this opportunity, it's hard not to fall in love with it.  It's hard.  It tests you.  Somedays it feels completely defeating.  But others, it is rewarding.  Other days, you look into the eyes of an adopted child and you remember how blessed you are.

Blessed.  That's what adoption is to me.  It's the hardest thing I have ever done thus far in my life, but boy, is it rewarding.  There are good days and bad days.  Hard days and easy days.  Sometimes it feels like just when it's starting to be easy, it falls apart a little bit.  But you get back up again and you keep going.  Because that's what God does for us.  He keeps going until He has our hearts.  Never stopping.  Never getting weary.  The perfect example.

Adoption takes so much patience.  Sometimes it feels like it's taking everything inside of you.  Sometimes it feels like you can't go any further.  But then there's that one rewarding day that gets you through until the next one.  And you remember that you are in love with adoption.  You remember that it is for you.  You remember that God called you to it.  So you do it.  Everyday.

Tomorrow is a new day.

xo,
emma


HopeUnbroken  – (April 11, 2012 at 2:51 PM)  

oh, this is beautiful. what a sweet perspective to hear from one your age. i have a teen that has a heart to adopt, as well. praying God will continue to raise up more and more among your generation. you truly are the ones who will save the fragile among us.
thanks so much for sharing this.

Anonymous –   – (April 11, 2012 at 3:58 PM)  

Beautiful post! I am praying for your family. Love you so!

xoxo
-Jemima

Avery  – (April 12, 2012 at 1:07 PM)  

you have a way of making everything you write so special and in a way perfect and right to the point.
I love it! And I love you!

Post a Comment

© 2012 Project 147 | Designed by Emma Thompson. Powered by Blogger.