Orphan - The Unfair Name

Orphan.  A child, abandoned, with no one or place to call home.  Just one of 147 million.  Like a mass, they are looked upon as a charity.  "Give to the orphan!"  "Save the orphan!"  But never, "Adopt the orphan!"  We will give our money, but not our lives.  We will sacrifice money, but not our schedules, our plans.  It's unfair - this way most of the world treats orphans.

Someone once said, when told he looked old and worn out, that aged and tired was the way he was supposed to look if he was giving his all for and to God.  I ask you this: are you willing to look old and fatigued for God?  When you care for orphans, that is how you will look and feel.  Adoption or care-giving is certainly not rainbows and cherry pie.  It's dirt and bitterness and pain.  It's hard and it hurts.

But what it we thought like this instead: Is it that difficult to lose your sleep and beauty and plans for a child who has lost him mommy and daddy and home and joy and culture?  Many international adoptions deal with children who have lost those things.

When I wrote a post on my other blog a few months ago with the same title, some people said calling "orphan" an unfair name was wrong.  They said that God planned for them to be orphans, so that is what they are.  That's true.  However, with Easter just around the corner, we are able to celebrate that we have been adopted by a merciful, ever patient, loving God.  We are no longer orphans.  We are overjoyed and thankful that we have been adopted and that we have a Father.
Is it fair, then, that these children should be called orphans?  They need a father and mother as much as they need a Heavenly Father.  Maybe we can't all adopt, but we can pray and we can inform. That is one of our goals with this website and blog - to inform, to educate, to encourage.  The word orphan needs a new definition, in my opinion.  Orphan does not mean charity.  It means opportunity, it means hope, it means a child in desperate need of love, waiting, waiting, ever waiting, for someone to love them.  They're are not to be looked down upon, but they are in need of a name change.  From orphan to adopted...just as we once were orphans but have been adopted by our Father.

Olivia

Natalia  – (April 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM)  

I love how you brought up the point that we too are orphans, Olivia! So many people look down on them, and it really is an unfair name. Love this post, great work! :)

Brooklyn  – (April 6, 2012 at 1:32 PM)  

^ What Natalia said. I love what y'all are doing, and I think this blog is so important. I dream of one day having an adopted sister, and I pray that shall one day come!

Madison  – (April 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM)  

Beautifully written, Olivia! I agree with you and like how you said "Orphan does not mean charity. It means opportunity, it means hope, it means a child in desperate need of love...waiting for someone to love them." Adoption is beautiful and amazing. If it's the Lord's will, I hope to adopt someday. I'm so excited for this project and to see how God will use it.
Many blessings!

~Madi

Anonymous –   – (April 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM)  

We are all orphans and then we did get adopted! I was adopted from kazakstan when i was 3 1/2 and then I got adopted again when I was 12 by my Savior!
This is a great post! I love it and it is so truthful. Also I really appreciate this blog. I know it will go places!

xoxo
-Jemima

Avery  – (April 6, 2012 at 3:14 PM)  

Such a great blog! I was super excited to see you all put this together to bring awareness about adoption. I am really excited for the posts to come!

maura margaret  – (April 7, 2012 at 7:36 AM)  

This really is an amazing blog! This was a great post and I'm excited for more to come!

Bethel  – (April 20, 2012 at 9:51 PM)  

I loved this! Just because something is does not mean that is the way God intended it, yes He allowed it but its not the same thing. God never wanted divorce in the world, but it is. In the same way God never wanted to have children abandoned, family is sacred to Him. I know I don't really know any of you but I feel very close to this group of girls. I love the passion for orphans you all have. May God ever keep your hearts tender to the orphan.

Post a Comment

© 2012 Project 147 | Designed by Emma Thompson. Powered by Blogger.