A Treasury of Adoption Miracles -- a Must Read!


"Adoption is a miracle all by itself.
  As I followed up on adoption stories that had come my way over the years, I was struck by one truth: Every adoption is a miracle.  After all, it is God working things out so that a hurting orphan finds his or her way into a family with open arms.  It is the building of families in a way that allows God's plans to play out in a very real way.  
  A special verse in the book of James tells us: 'Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress' (1:27 NIV).  That doesn't always mean adoption is right for you.  Perhaps that verse means you might pray for a hurting child.  Maybe you could support a child internationally -- many groups offer the opportunity to send a dollar or more a day to help an orphan eat or receive an education. 
  But sometimes that Scripture leads people to adoption...
  During the research phase of this book, I checked to see what other collections were available.  I expected there to be many and was surprised at what I found instead.  There are no other collections, at the time of this printing, that details stories of adoptions in a way that might encourage others to be excited about adoption.  For that reason, it's my prayer that this book will be an encouragement."


Karen Kingsbury


The first time I read this book was probably around 3 1/2 years ago, when our family decided to pursue the journey of adoption.  As excited as I was for our own story to unfold, I was eager to read the 12 chapters about others who had experienced the miracle of adoption, excited to turn the pages full of stories of God's miracles.

I started reading the book and couldn't stop.  It was one of those books that I became addicted to for the next hour or two, and within one sitting I had finished.  A Treasury of Adoption Miracles: True Stories of God's Presence Today, written by author and adoptive mother Karen Kingsbury was so inspiring.  It was encouraging and exciting, making me ready to experience my own miracles like the ones in the book; and throughout the adoption process we definitely saw God working.

A few days ago, as I was looking through our collection of books, I came across the 150-page treasury.  I decided to read it for a second time, and once again, it was a one-sitting read.  And even though many things have changed since the first time I read it, it was still incredibly inspiring, encouraging and exciting.  It made me fall in love with adoption all over again.  It made me fall in love even more with Christ and His special plan for everyone.  And so today, when I decided to post on here, I instantly knew what it would be about.  This special book.

Whether you are on the fence with your view on adoption, are going through the adoption process, have already welcomed an adopted family member into your home, or maybe just need a great read, I would certainly recommend this.

The stories were all complete tearjerkers... so don't say I didn't warn you.  Every page was convicting but so amazing.
I would love to hear about this book more often when talking with people about adoption.  It is a book that breaks your heart for orphans and challenges you to think of the 147 million children in need of a home.  I would certainly encourage you to borrow it from a friend who has it, order it online orcheck it out from a library.

If you read it, let us know! Remember you can tweet us anytime at @project_147. 


xoxo,
-Natalia

Post a Comment

© 2012 Project 147 | Designed by Emma Thompson. Powered by Blogger.